In August 2004, commercial and residential property owners along Telegraph Avenue and adjoining areas voted to form a special benefits assessment district along Telegraph Avenue from 40th to 66th Street (Berkeley border), including small portions of Shattuck Avenue, 51st Street, Claremont Avenue, and also Children's Hospital. This is known as the Temescal/Telegraph Business Improvement District ("Temescal Telegraph BID"). The BID is managed by the Temescal Telegraph Community Association (TTCA).
The BID's mission is to make the Temescal Telegraph commercial corridor more pedestrian-friendly for its residents, build upon the sense of community, and attract new shoppers.
Starting February 1, 2017, Temescal Telegraph has contracted with a new company, Block by Block to provide 112 hours per week of the following Environmental Maintenance Services in Temescal:
· Removal of Litter and Debris
· Removal of handbills, stickers, posters
· Power Washing – hot spots
· Watering Services – of the Temescal BID’s planters & landscaped medians
· Graffiti removal from public property and private property (please contact BBB to coordinate private property graffiti removal)
· Weed Control
· Illegal Dumping – working with the city to remove illegal dumping.
· Special Projects&limited landscaping
Keith Carter, the new full-time in-district Block by Block Operations Manager for the Temescal BID’s maintenance services, can be contacted for requests, questions and concerns regarding maintenance in the Temescal: