This #GivingTuesday consider donating to a few of the many Temescal nonprofits!
Since 2003 La Clínica Dental at Children’s Hospital has been providing high quality dental services to children of Alameda County and surrounding areas. They are one of the few pediatric dental health centers in Northern California to offer dental care to children with special needs including medical issues, developmental challenges, and more, treating children from infancy into early adulthood. Their priority is to treat patients who cannot be treated elsewhere, and to provide routine care to children from our local community. Donate here.
Critical Resistance is a national, member-based grassroots organization that works to build a mass movement to dismantle the prison-industrial complex. They believe that basic necessities such as food, shelter, and freedom are what really make communities secure. As such, their work is part of global struggles against inequality and powerlessness. The success of the movement requires that it reflect communities most affected by the PIC. Critical Resistance’s vision is the creation of genuinely healthy, stable communities that respond to harm without relying on imprisonment and punishment. Support Critical Resistance by donating today.
The East Bay Community Space is a beautiful and inclusive venue available for public and private events, co-working, and community building. The East Bay Community Space is committed to creating inclusive, non-market-based social space, partnering with organizations dedicated to social justice, the arts, and community empowerment, providing a low-cost venue for cultural events, workshops, classes, performance, and gatherings. If you can donate any of the items on their wish list, please contact them.
For over 30 years the East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse has been a leading pioneer in the field of reuse. The Depot was founded in the late 1970s by a group of Oakland Unified School District teachers for the purpose of providing ecological, reused supplies at low cost to educators with dwindling budgets. The Depot’s primary activities involve collecting discarded materials by donation from businesses, manufacturers, and the general public, keeping the materials out of the landfill, and offering them for sale in the Depot Store. Their customers are typically, teachers, artists and households to which we sell supplies at low cost. The Depot Store diverts over 200 tons of reusable material from the landfills each year. Support the store that supports you by donating here!
HipHopForChange, Inc. is a 501c3 non-profit that uses grassroots activism to educate people about socio-economic injustices and advocate solutions through Hip Hop culture. The organization teaches the world about true Hip Hop Culture, and Hip Hop as a vehicle for social justice. They are building a base of self-determination, where the community controls the cultural narratives, values, and means of production. By donating to Hip Hop For Change, you are gifting the community with quality Hip Hop and arts education, job opportunities, and free social justice events. Donate here today!
The Omni Commons is an innovative community space in North Oakland made up of nine Bay Area collectives with a shared political vision of more equitable commoning of resources and meeting human needs over private interests or corporate profit. They are currently struggling to survive the financial challenges the coronavirus pandemic presents. Donate to their GoFundMe today. Also donate to the individual collectives:
- Acta Non Verba elevates life in Oakland and beyond by challenging oppressive dynamics and environments through urban farming.
- Chiapas Support Committee supports autonomous health care and education in Zapatista communities.
- Counter Culture Labs is a citizen science and DIY bio space that is open sourcing biology.
- Food Not Bombs has been bringing free food to parks, political events, neighborhood gatherings, and social centers since 1991.
- FYE is a creative coalition and collaborative platform specializing in Space Activation, Event Curation, Workshops & Pop-Ups
- Global Women’s Strike – Omni Collective is an international network working toward the return of military spending to the community starting with women, the main caregivers everywhere.
- Liberated Lens is a radical film & video collective dedicated to social change.
- Sudo Room is a place to build, learn, reclaim technology for the people, and create alternatives to the tech industry
- Sudo Mesh is an East Bay creative community and hackerspace.
- The Village Oakland, in partnership with East Oakland Collective, and Love and Justice in the Streets, has been able to house a total of 45 households who are vulnerable to COVID (seniors, folks with pre-existing conditions, and families with small children) in hotel rooms with full kitchens so they could Shelter in Place. Donate to their campaign to keep the remaining 15 families in their hotel rooms through this new surge of COVID-19 until they can move into an RV, camper or actual housing. Donate here: gf.me/u/xxnt89