- Grinding and paving will begin on the Northbound outer lanes (the travel lane closest to the curb & parking lane on the East side of Telegraph), beginning at 37th St and working northbound to 52nd St. While they are milling and installing pavement, there will be no parking on the East side of Telegraph, in that particular section.
- Then, grinding and paving will begin on the Southbound outer lanes (the travel lane closest to the curb & parking lane on the West side of Telegraph), beginning at 52nd St and working southbound to 37th St. While they are milling and installing pavement, there will be no parking on the West side of Telegraph, in that particular section.
- Then, grinding and paving will be performed on the inside travel lanes and center turn lane. During this time, most parking will be permitted on both sides of Telegraph Ave.
- Finally, temporary lane markers will be installed on the street (delineating the current lanes, not the lanes for the finalized street design).
- Additional merchant outreach to Temescal merchants (February 13th meeting)
- City staff will finalize a design to close the bike lane gap between KONO and 42nd St. Attend the Public Meeting on March 6th and/or Take the Survey HERE to provide feedback on your priorities for Telegraph Ave b/t 42nd & 29th and to select your preference for the type of bike lane on this segment
- City staff will create a plan to act concurrently to fix the KONO bike lanes. More info here.
- An informational report regarding all outreach be presented to the Publics Works Committee
Wednesday, February 13 | Temescal Merchant Outreach Meeting for Repair Telegraph Design | 5-6pm | 490 43rd St. Oakland Department of Transportation (OakDOT) is holding a merchant meeting on Wednesday, February 13th at 5pm to hear additional feedback on the 35% Design Plan for Telegraph Ave between 42nd & 52nd. Specifically, OakDOT staff will be reviewing the curbside management plan (loading zones, green zones, metered parking), to make sure that the kind of parking/loading outside of each business best matches the Temescal merchants’ needs. If a merchant cannot attend, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate a time to review the draft parking map and request changes to parking outside your business.
We urge all of you to stay engaged with the Temescal Telegraph BID and be involved in the process to repave and redesign Telegraph Ave! Help us keep the city accountable to follow through on their promise to repave Telegraph in Spring/Summer 2019.
For over 10 years, the Temescal Telegraph Business Improvement District (TTBID) has been trying to get the City of Oakland to repave Telegraph Ave. between 45th and 51st Streets. The City itself has ranked this street as one of the worst streets in the city (ranked as Poor/Failing at <30, when 100 is the top score). Now this stretch of Telegraph Ave is barely passable, with pedestrians and bicyclists hurt frequently, and causing costly repairs to vehicles. The hazardous state of the road is a threat to the safety of the Oakland community.
Telegraph Ave between 45th Street and 51st St., one of Oakland’s major thoroughfares, is in the heart of a bustling commercial district. The crumbling street has over 25,000 cars per day, 4 freeway on and off ramps, thousands of bicyclists and pedestrians and a major AC Transit bus line.
The State just increased gas taxes to increase funding for things like street repair, and a year ago Oakland’s voters approved a $600 million bond issue for the same purpose. It is simply inexcusable that this key part of a major thoroughfare is left to crumble year after year after year. It’s time to pave this section of Telegraph now.